The Kansas University School of Medicine in Lawrence began as a one-year premedical course in 1880 and then offered a two-year course in 1899. It became a four-year school on April 21, 1905, when three private medical schools in the Kansas City area merged: the College of Physicians and Surgeons, the Kansas City Medical College and the Medico-Chirurgical College.
In 1906, Dr. Simeon Bell donated the land and cash totaling more than $100,000 to establish the original Eleanor Taylor Bell Hospital, in honor of his wife.
That same year, the School of Medicine moved into the hospital, located on "Goat Hill" in Rosedale, at what is now Southwest Boulevard and 7th Street, in Kansas City, Kansas. Basic sciences were still taught in Lawrence, while clinical studies were taught at the Rosedale facility. A School of Nursing was also established in 1906.
In the early 1920s, the medical school moved south to its present location at 39th and Rainbow, and in the late 1940s, it was renamed the University of Kansas Medical Center. During the 1960s and 1970s, all studies moved to Kansas City, the School of Allied Health was established, and a new hospital officially opened in 1979.
The hospital marked an important milestone in 1998, when it became an independent Hospital Authority, which receives no state funding. The hospital's official name is now "The University of Kansas Hospital."
A sixth-floor was added to the hospital in 2003 to meet a growing demand for patient services. An expanded and renovated Cancer Center and new Breast Center, both featuring the latest technology and many patient amenities, opened that same year.
Also in 2003, construction began on the Center for Advanced Heart Care, an expertly designed cardiac complex focused on serving the needs of patients and families, from curbside to bedside.
As the region’s premier academic medical center, The University of Kansas Hospital is committed to serving as a health care resource for people, physicians and hospitals throughout the region now and into the future.