Find information about your bill, including payment options and frequently asked questions.
A Complete Online Guide for Patients and Visitors
For medical questions, directions, where to find cafes, valet parking, WiFi, concierge services and much more
At The University of Kansas Hospital, the region's leading academic medical center, we are dedicated to providing excellent service and compassionate, high-quality medical care. For more details about our amenities, call 913-588-1227 or stop by the Information Desk in the hospital's main lobby.
Whether you're a patient or a visitor, we want to make your experience with us a positive one. And we want to make it easy for you to find the information, people and locations you're looking for. We want to help, whether your questions are about finding a doctor; maps and directions; parking; lodging; visiting hours; how to prepare for admission; billing; finding a wellness program that works for you; or finding convenient healthcare resources because you're new to the neighborhood.
Request the Patient Comfort & Travel Guide
Our travel packet provides patients and their families information on nearby lodging, dining and other amenities.
Request a Patient Comfort and Travel Guide today by calling 913-588-1227.
- ATM – ATMs are located near the hospital cafeteria and in the lobby of the medical office building.
- Hair and nail salon – Open to patients and visitors, Hair Quarters is located across from the cafeteria on the hospital's ground floor. To make an appointment or ask about in-room services, call 913-588-2518. Salon hours are 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, or by request.
- Interpreter services – Professional interpreters are available in person or over the phone to help patients who use sign language or speak a language other than English. Arrangements for this service may be made through nurses or physicians.
- Newspapers – Machines are in the hospital lobby, outside the cafeteria, by the main elevator bank on the second, fourth and fifth floors, and by the ground floor Sudler Link elevators.
- Notary public – Free notary services are available weekdays in Admissions, 913-588-5807, off the hospital's main lobby, and in Patient Relations, 913-588-1290, near the hospital's main entrance.
- Pharmacy – In the hospital's main lobby, our outpatient pharmacy fills prescriptions written by our hospital physicians and offers over-the-counter medications. Hours are 8 a.m.-7 p.m. weekdays, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. weekends and holidays, except Christmas and New Year's Day. The pharmacy number is 913-588-2361.
- Public restrooms – Facilities are located on each floor of the hospital and medical center. For the health of our patients, visitors should not use patient bathrooms.
- Internet services – Wireless Internet services are available throughout the hospital and medical center. Use the wireless connection labeled "Internet."
University of Kansas police officers regularly patrol the campus and are on duty 24 hours a day. For escorts to your car after dark, call 913-588-5030. To reach police in an emergency, use the blue phones located throughout the campus. Pick up the receiver to be connected automatically to the police. You may also dial 911 from any phone.
For a list of area hotels, call 913-588-5000, stop by the Information Desk in the hospital's main lobby or visit kumed.com/lodging. For information on community lodging resources, call 913-588-2160.
- Cafeteria – Located on the hospital's ground floor, the cafeteria is open 6:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday and 7 a.m.-6:30 p.m. weekends and holidays. Vending machines are available 24 hours a day.
- The Roasterie Café – On the ground floor of the Center for Advanced Heart Care, the cafe is open 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Elements 4 Life – Next to the cafeteria, this service offers convenience foods 24 hours Monday-Friday; 6 p.m.-7 a.m. weekends and holidays. Hot entrees are available after the cafeteria closes, until 2 a.m.
- Java City – Located on the ground floor of the medical office building, Java City is open 6:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Lobby Gift Shop – hospital's main lobby, 913-588-5495
- Sunflower Gift Shop – first floor, Delp Corridor, 913-588-5496
- KU Med Store – ground floor, Orr-Major (outside entrance from 39th Avenue), 913-588-2537
The University of Kansas Hospital provides these services to help make your stay pleasant, comfortable and safe: help with transportation and lodging information, family support services, home health planning, billing and insurance issues and Kansas Medicaid applications. For assistance, call 913-588-2160.
MyChart: Online access to care team
More than 34,000 people have signed up for MyChart, an online tool that lets patients see portions of their medical records and communicate securely with their care teams at The University of Kansas Hospital and The University of Kansas Physicians. Learn more about MyChart.
Spiritual care services
Spiritual care services are available 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday through Thursday and around the clock on weekends, from 8 a.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Monday. Spiritual wellness services are available to everyone. Call 913-945-7849 or notify a member of our staff.
Spencer Chapel, on the first floor off Wescoe Pavilion, is open daily 6:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Catholic Mass is Saturday evening and Sunday morning. Call 913-588-5000 for worship times.
Tobacco use on campus
State law prohibits smoking in the hospital, and tobacco use of any kind is not permitted. Tobacco use is not permitted inside campus buildings, parking garages or on sidewalks surrounding the campus. The only place on campus where tobacco use is allowed is behind the Cambridge Parking Facility (across the street from the hospital entrance). The area is marked with signs.
Educational resources for patients, families and visitors
Learn about specific diseases and treatments at our educational centers. Resources include brochures, books, videos and Internet access. Trained staff will answer questions and offer support.
- Cancer care – Patient and Family Resource Center, on the hospital's fourth floor, and Brandmeyer Patient Resource Center, in the hospital's Richard and Annette Block Radiation Oncology Pavilion, and in the Richard and Annette Bloch Cancer Care Pavilion, Westwood Campus.
- Heart care – White Heart Learning and Resource Center, on the second floor of the Center for Advanced Heart Care.
- Spine care – George Varghese, MD, Spine Learning and Resource Center, in the Marc A. Asher, MD, Comprehensive Spine Center on the hospital's ground floor.
Directions to The University of Kansas Hospital
From I-35: Take I-35 to the Rainbow Boulevard Exit 234 (U.S. 169). Drive south about one mile to 39th Avenue. Turn left and continue one block. Turn right on Cambridge Street to access the main hospital entrance.
From the southeast: Take I-49/U.S. 71 north on 39th Street. Drive west on 39th Street about 2.5 miles. Turn left on Cambridge Street to access the main hospital entrance.
From the southwest: Take I-435 to the State Line Road exit. Drive north on State Line to 39th Avenue about eight miles. Turn left and continue one block. Turn left on Cambridge Street to access the main hospital entrance.
From the east: Take I-70 west to downtown Kansas City, Missouri. Merge onto I-35 South. Exit on Rainbow Boulevard Exit 234 (U.S. 169) and drive south about one mile to 39th Avenue. Turn left and continue one block. Turn right on Cambridge Street to access the main hospital entrance.
From the west: Take I-70 east to the 7th Street Trafficway Exit 422A (U.S. 169). Drive south about 2.5 miles to 39th Avenue. Turn left and continue one block. Turn right on Cambridge Street to access the main hospital entrance.
Turning Point offers patients and their families support services and comprehensive programming to address the psychological, social, emotional and physical needs that accompany serious and chronic illnesses.
Smoking cessation program
Your hospital visit is a great time to quit tobacco. The University of Kansas Hospital's U-Kan Quit program offers you free tobacco counseling during your stay. We have highly-trained counselors who are available to discuss any issues related to your tobacco use. Our first goal is to make sure you are comfortable and manage withdrawal. We can also help you develop a plan for quitting.
We will help you during and after your hospital visit by:
- Checking for in-hospital nicotine cravings.
- Recommending medications to keep you comfortable.
- Talking about your interest in quitting.
- Providing counseling for quitting tobacco use after your stay.
- Linking you to a free tobacco quitline.
- Helping you choose a medication for quitting tobacco and identify low-cost options.
- Helping you make a quit plan.
Benefits of quitting include:
- Quitting helps you heal faster.
- Tobacco use may slow your recovery from surgery and illness.
- It also may slow bone and wound healing.
For more information, call 913-317-6931.
Use this free, nonprofit Web-based service to stay connected to family and friends during your hospital stay.