You can make a difference
Volunteers at The University of Kansas Hospital are part of an outstanding team. They help us provide high quality care and exceptional service to our patients and their families. As a volunteer, you'll get a firsthand look at leading-edge health care, and a sense of satisfaction and pride knowing you are making a difference.
To show our appreciation for volunteering your time and talents, you'll receive:
- Free garage parking close to the hospital entrance
- Complimentary cafeteria meal provided upon completion of a 4-hour shift
- Free annual flu shot
- Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon
Volunteers often find the greatest rewards are the people they meet and the friendships they forge.
As a valued member of our team, you'll work alongside highly trained health care professionals. To help ensure the work is fulfilling and rewarding, we'll match your skills and interests with the needs of the hospital.
- Clerical volunteers
- Delivery volunteers - Deliver patient mail, packages and flowers
- Gift shop volunteers
- Pastoral care volunteers - Visit patients and support their spiritual needs
- PathFinder volunteers - Escort visitors to their destinations
- Pets for Life/Pet Partners volunteers
- Reach Out and Read volunteers
- Offsite volunteering opportunities at patient care locations throughout the community (For details, please check the volunteer application.)
How to volunteer
To become a volunteer, we require:
- Minimum commitment of four hours per week for six months
- Completed volunteer application
- Personal interview
- Consent to a background check
- One completed personal reference form
- A blood test to check for TB, mumps and/or chickenpox immunity, provided free of charge
- Hospital orientation and training
- Purchase a uniform for $20
To receive additional volunteer information, please call Volunteer Services, 913-588-6560.
You can also download and print our volunteer forms:
- Adult Volunteer Application (PDF)
Please do not fill in your social security number when submitting this application. You will be asked to provide it during your volunteer interview. It is necessary for your background check.
- Personal Reference Form (PDF)
You need Adobe Reader® for these forms. You can download it for free from Adobe.
Send your completed application and reference forms to:
The University of Kansas Hospital
Volunteer Services Department, MS 1021
3901 Rainbow Blvd.
Kansas City, KS 66160
You can also send your completed form by email.